Bronx Energy Efficiency
Did you know the average homeowner spends about $2,200 a year on energy bills, while the average Bronx home loses 25% of its energy through its roof, 35% through its walls, and 40% through common air leaks?
The South Bronx has the highest energy burden in NYC. On average residents of Mott Haven, Melrose, Port Morris, Hunts Point and Longwood spend 9% of their income on their utilities, while Manhattan and Brooklyn residents spend only 1-2%.
Our Home Performance with ENERGY STAR® (HPwES) program works to address energy waste by connecting Bronxites with subsidies, low-cost financing, free or reduced cost energy audits and upgrade retrofits provided by the Green Jobs- Green NY program through New York State Energy and Research Authority (NYSERDA).
For more information on how you can get an energy audit and retrofit please contact Matthew Caruso, Outreach Coordinator, at 646.400.5437 or email@example.com. You may apply online for this program at Get Started With Sustainable South Bronx. On page 2 of the application, it is important to select “Constituency-Based Organization” under the section “How did you hear about Home Performance with ENERGY STAR?” On the next page, click on CBO and select “Sustainable South Bronx” on the pull down menu. We can then track your progress and provide support.
– Uncontrolled air leakage
– High energy bills
– Inconsistent door temperature
– Damp basement
– Cold drafts and floors in winter
– Dry indoor air in the winter
– Moisture, must, mildew problem
In an energy audit, all of these areas will all be assessed in order to provide you with the best possible upgrade recommendations.
The Green Jobs Green New York Outreach Coordinator will assist you with the application process so that you can receive an energy audit and learn where you are losing energy and wasting money.
2. Consider finance options and subsidies
Following the assessment, you will be provided with various recommendations on how you can improve and retrofit your home. The Green Jobs Green New York Outreach Coordinator can help you apply for low-interest financing and subsidies.
3. Application approval, energy upgrades, and installations
Once your application is processed and approved, you will select the retrofit options to installed by a contractor. You will immediately start saving money as your home will quickly stop losing energy!
There are a number of financing options available. Our Green Jobs Green New York Outreach Coordinator will help you with the financing application to decide which options are best for you!
– The EmPower Program provides no-cost energy efficiency solutions for income and HEAP eligible Bronx renters and homeowners.
– Assisted Home Performance with Energy Star Income eligible homeowners can receive from $4,000 (single family home) up to $8,000 (up to 4 units) to cover 50% of the cost of the energy efficient upgrades.
LOW INTEREST FINANCING OPTIONS
– On-Bill Recovery Loan works with your monthly payments and will not exceed your estimated average monthly energy cost savings. Your loan payments are built right into your utility bill so you will not have an extra bill each month. Your energy savings essentially pay for your work. Interest rates are subject to change and interest rate availability is subject to the customer’s credit qualification. Loan amounts from $1,500 – $25,000 with loan term of 5, 10 or 15 years.
– The Smart Energy Loan is a more traditional loan that you repay monthly via check or automatic payment. Interest rates are subject to change and interest rate availability is subject to the customer’s credit qualification. Monthly payments made to NYSERDA’s loan servicer and loan amounts can range from $1,500 – $25,000 with loan terms of 5, 10, or 15 years.
For more information please visit NYSERDA’s residential financing page in order to calculate what your exact interest rate will look like: NYSERDA’s Financing Calculator