Jobs and Opportunities
Sustainable South Bronx is an equal opportunity employer.
BE2 Outreach Coordinator
Job Synopsis: Sustainable South Bronx has been awarded a two-year contract from the New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) to encourage residential, nonprofit, and small commercial building owners of the Bronx to participate in the Green Jobs –
Green New York program (GJGNY), which promotes energy audits followed by the completion of building retrofits. Through our local education and outreach campaign, Bronx Energy Efficiency (Be2), SSBx works closely with Bronx homeowners to secure incentives and low-interest financing to complete the retrofit process. Currently in our third year of the campaign, the outreach team is tasked to achieve specific milestones related to the number of building owners reached, energy audits conducted, and retrofits completed. The goals of the Be2 program is to reduce energy use buildings, create local green jobs in the retrofit industry, to alleviate energy burden in the South Bronx – the highest in NYC- and to reduce energy costs for neighborhood residents.
The Outreach Coordinator, a member of the Community Greening Department, will facilitate all tasks related to the Be2 program including:
- Facilitate awareness of the Be2 program, primarily focusing on homes with 1-4 families
- Implement a grassroots outreach campaign including mailings, cold-calling, door-knocking, organizing local events and workshops
- Develop and manage relationships with potential community outreach partners (block associations, local businesses, houses of worship, community members and other neighborhood institutions)
- Attend local outreach events aimed at educating local Bronx residents about the importance of energy efficiency and to promote energy conservation Bronx-wide
- Identify target recruitment areas (e.g., business districts) and develop strategies for reaching them
- Promote the Be2 program via social media outlets and write content for the website
- Prescreen homes to assess the need for energy efficiency work and the building owners’ willingness and ability to finance the work
- Serve as a liaison for individuals throughout the retrofit process by ensuring paperwork is properly submitted, qualifying local residents for free or reduced energy audits and subsidies, and overseeing the audit and retrofit
- Educate and refer Bronx residents to qualifying programs outside of GJGNY including EmPower or Weatherization Assistance Program
- Coordinate the Energy Champions Referral Program to encourage residential program participants to refer friends, neighbors and colleagues to the program
- Recruit local contractors, particularly those representing minority and women-owned businesses (MWBEs) and non-English-speaking populations, to join NYSERDA’s Home Performance Program
- Host contractor forums to encourage participation in the Home Performance Program.
- Work with local Bronx contractors and local workforce development programs to develop pathways for green careers
- Maintain current and up-to-date knowledge of GJGNY program components, NYSERDA
- programs, and other related programs and processes
- Attending regular NYSERDA trainings regarding program information and updates
- Minimum Skills and Experience
The ideal candidate:
- Has a demonstrated interest and experience in community organizing, environmental education and environmental justice
- Is familiar with building science and energy efficiency
- Has excellent community relations and customer assistance skills, and experience working with diverse constituents
- Is comfortable meeting with people in their homes and giving presentations at community meetings
- Has experience in collecting and managing sensitive customer information, including entering information into databases
- Is very detail-oriented, organized and able to work on multiple activities simultaneously
- Demonstrates initiative and the ability to work independently Proactively identifies opportunities and envisions creative strategies and partnerships
- Has exceptional people and communication skills
- Is comfortable navigating and traveling to various Bronx communities
- Is able to commit to working weekends and evenings frequently as needed
- Is proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and online systems
- Holds a bachelor’s degree or comparable work/life experience
- Preferred Skills and Qualifications
- Able to communicate and write in Spanish
- Holds a professional BPI or LEED certification
Salary & Timeframe
- This is full-time grant-funded position which concludes at the end of 2015 with the possibility of an extension. Salary will be commensurate with experience.
- Please send your resume and cover letter to Angela Tovar, Director of Sustainable Policy and Research, at email@example.com. No phone calls please. SSBx is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Green Building and Construction Instructor
Program Description: SSBx’s Bronx Environmental Stewardship Training (BEST) Academy prepares low-income New York City residents between the ages of eighteen and thirty-five for jobs in the “green collar” sector. The BEST for Buildings (B4B) program is a seventeen-week training program focused on green construction, building operations and maintenance, hazardous waste management, and home energy performance. Additionally, B4B offers an extensive job readiness curriculum that trains individuals who are seeking a fresh start and who have been unemployed for a significant period, who are under-employed, or who possess limited work experience. We seek a dynamic Green Building & Construction Instructor (GBCI) who will be a key member of the BEST Academy instructional team.
Position Description: The Green Building & Construction Instructor (GBCI) is responsible for the successful development and implementation of the B4B green construction and building operations training curriculum. The Green Building & Construction Instructor will develop and implement a course of instruction that will introduce students to green concepts and practices as they relate to the fields of construction, building operations and maintenance, and residential and commercial energy efficiency.
- Providing quality instruction in the areas of building science, Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC), basic plumbing, electrical and carpentry;
- Preparing lesson plans and delivering instruction through innovative methods that are hands-on and project-based;
- Identifying and preparing instructional materials that will enhance student learning and are relevant to the fields in which BEST students will be seeking employment;
- Maintaining an accurate record of student grades and attendance;
- Providing appropriate educational and career counseling to students;
- Overseeing two junior instructors, including supervision of instructional materials they create;
- Maintaining a safe and positive classroom environment
- Knowledge of retrofits, green building design and construction, green infrastructure;
- Experience teaching students of different skill levels the subjects of construction and basic carpentry, electrical and plumbing;
- Knowledge of building science and Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC);
- Ability to work with and motivate adults of diverse backgrounds and abilities;
- Proficient in Excel and other Microsoft products;
- Very detail-oriented, well-organized and able to work on multiple activities simultaneously.
Experience/Education: Bachelor’s degree in construction or a related field, or extensive experience in construction; Building Performance Institute (BPI) certification in one or more specialty.
Work Duration: 10 weeks (Starting November 2014)
Compensation: $1050-$1400 per week (depending on experience)
Job Location: Bronx, NY
Please send your cover letter and resume to Migdalia Taveras, Director, BEST Academy, at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please. SSBx is an Equal Opportunity Employer.