Jobs and Opportunities
Sustainable South Bronx is an equal opportunity employer.
Green Building and Construction Instructor
Program Description: SSBx’s Bronx Environmental Stewardship Training (BEST) Academy prepares low-income New York City residents between the ages of eighteen and thirty-five for jobs in the “green collar” sector. The BEST for Buildings (B4B) program is a seventeen-week training program focused on green construction, building operations and maintenance, hazardous waste management, and home energy performance. Additionally, B4B offers an extensive job readiness curriculum that trains individuals who are seeking a fresh start and who have been unemployed for a significant period, who are under-employed, or who possess limited work experience. We seek a dynamic Green Building & Construction Instructor (GBCI) who will be a key member of the BEST Academy instructional team.
Position Description: The Green Building & Construction Instructor (GBCI) is responsible for the successful development and implementation of the B4B green construction and building operations training curriculum. The Green Building & Construction Instructor will develop and implement a course of instruction that will introduce students to green concepts and practices as they relate to the fields of construction, building operations and maintenance, and residential and commercial energy efficiency.
- Providing quality instruction in the areas of building science, Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC), basic plumbing, electrical and carpentry;
- Preparing lesson plans and delivering instruction through innovative methods that are hands-on and project-based;
- Identifying and preparing instructional materials that will enhance student learning and are relevant to the fields in which BEST students will be seeking employment;
- Maintaining an accurate record of student grades and attendance;
- Providing appropriate educational and career counseling to students;
- Overseeing two junior instructors, including supervision of instructional materials they create;
- Maintaining a safe and positive classroom environment
- Knowledge of retrofits, green building design and construction, green infrastructure;
- Experience teaching students of different skill levels the subjects of construction and basic carpentry, electrical and plumbing;
- Knowledge of building science and Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC);
- Ability to work with and motivate adults of diverse backgrounds and abilities;
- Proficient in Excel and other Microsoft products;
- Very detail-oriented, well-organized and able to work on multiple activities simultaneously.
Experience/Education: Bachelor’s degree in construction or a related field, or extensive experience in construction; Building Performance Institute (BPI) certification in one or more specialty.
Work Duration: 10 weeks (Starting November 2014)
Compensation: $1050-$1400 per week (depending on experience)
Job Location: Bronx, NY
Please send your cover letter and resume to Migdalia Taveras, Director, BEST Academy, at email@example.com. No phone calls please. SSBx is an Equal Opportunity Employer.