Jobs and Opportunities
GREEN JOBS – GREEN NEW YORK PROGRAM COORDINATOR
PART TIME: 24 HOURS/WEEK
The HOPE Program (of which Sustainable South Bronx is a subsidiary) has a 30 year track record of successfully transforming lives by empowering New Yorkers living in poverty to achieve economic self-sufficiency through employment and advancement. HOPE is an outcomes-focused organization. Our student-centered approach, employer-driven training, wide range of support services, and commitment to lifelong support yield strong results, notably a job placement rate of 72% and retention rates of 91% at 90 days and 74% at one-year. At HOPE we are focused on expanding our impact and positioning ourselves for growth while continuing to enhance the quality of our services and build upon our successful outcomes.
Sustainable South Bronx (SSBx), a subsidiary of HOPE, has been awarded a multi-year contract by the New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) to encourage residential, nonprofit, and small commercial building owners of the Bronx to participate in the Green Jobs – Green New York program (GJGNY), which promotes energy audits followed by the completion of building retrofits. Through this program, SSBx works closely with Bronx homeowners to secure incentives and low-interest financing to complete the retrofit process. Currently in our second year of the contract, the Program Coordinator is responsible for achieving specific milestones related to the number of building owners reached, energy audits conducted, and retrofits completed. The goals of the program are to reduce energy use in buildings, create local green jobs in the retrofit industry, and to reduce energy costs for residents and businesses throughout the Bronx.
HOPE is seeking a dynamic, energetic professional. This is a grant funded position that is currently scheduled to conclude in June 2016, with the possibility of an extension. Demonstrated interest and experience in community organizing, environmental education and environmental justice. Familiarity with building science and energy efficiency. Excellent community relations and customer assistance skills and experience working with diverse constituents. Ability and willingness to meet people in their homes and give presentations at community meetings. Experience in collecting and managing sensitive customer information, including entering information into databases. Ability to be organized and detail-oriented while working on multiple activities simultaneously. Comfort with navigating and traveling to various Bronx communities. Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and online systems; outgoing personality. Must be a strong team player and ability to commit to working weekends and evenings frequently and as needed. College degree required. Ability to communicate and write in Spanish. Preferred: Holds a BPI certification.
The Program Coordinator will facilitate all tasks related to the program including:
- Serve as a liaison for individuals throughout the retrofit process by ensuring paperwork is properly submitted, qualifying local residents for free or reduced energy audits and subsidies, and overseeing the audit and retrofit.
- Follow through on existing partnerships in conjunction with current program partners and NYSERDA.
- Facilitate awareness of the program, primarily focusing on homes with 1-4 families.
- Work with local Bronx contractors to develop pathways for green careers.
- Implement a grassroots outreach campaign including mailings, cold-calling, door-knocking, and organizing local events and workshops.
- Develop and manage relationships with potential community outreach partners (block associations, local businesses, houses of worship, community members and other neighborhood institutions).
- Attend local outreach events aimed at educating local Bronx residents about the importance of energy efficiency and to promote energy conservation Bronx-wide.
- Promote the program via social media outlets and the SSBx website.
- Prescreen homes to assess the need for energy efficiency work and the building owners’ willingness and ability to finance the work.
- Educate and refer Bronx residents to qualifying programs outside of GJGNY including EmPower or the Weatherization Assistance Program.
- Coordinate the Energy Champions Referral Program to encourage residential program participants to refer friends, neighbors and colleagues to the program.
- Maintain current and up-to-date knowledge of GJGNY program components, NYSERDA programs, and other related programs and processes.
- Attending regular NYSERDA trainings regarding program information and program updates.
Salary/Benefits: Salary is set by the contract. HOPE provides personal and bonus days.
Interested Candidates: Email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org Resumes unaccompanied by a cover letter will not be reviewed. No telephone calls, please.
Founded in 1984, The HOPE Program empowers New Yorkers living in poverty to achieve economic self-sufficiency through employment and advancement. HOPE is unique in its open doors to all New Yorkers who are motivated to transform their lives, our use of data to continuously improve programming, and our outcomes, which are among the strongest in the industry. HOPE is Robin Hood-funded and holds the Better Business Bureau Seal of Approval. Read more about our work at www.thehopeprogram.org.
Sustainable South Bronx is an equal opportunity employer.