Sustainable South Bronx, in partnership with Capital One Bank, is proud to announce the launch of the Green Business Plan Competition (GBPC).
Refine your idea.
Get coaching from a business mentor.
Win seed money to launch your business.
The Green Business Plan Competition is a new way to help current students and alumni of SSBx’s Bronx Environmental Stewardship Training (BEST) Academy launch their own green businesses. All applicants will receive feedback from a successful business professional; up to six finalists will be selected to pitch their business idea to a live panel of judges and win up to $1,500 in seed funding to launch or grow their business. Finalists will be paired with a business mentor and will develop a 10-minute PowerPoint presentation; three winners will be chosen to receive start-up capital.
GBPC is open to all current and former BEST students. Teams can be as large as three people, provided at least one team member is a BEST grad or current student.
Sustainable South Bronx’s BEST Academy is dedicated to training the future green collar workers of New York City, and now, with the help of Capital One Bank, we’re training green collar entrepreneurs as well.
Here’s how it works:
- Enter the competition by completing this on-line application by January 25, 2013. As noted above, you can apply on your own or as a team of two or three people.
- The Green Business Plan competition is open to all green start-up businesses and/or green small businesses with no more than 5 employees.
- An open “Question & Answer” session will be provided for all interested persons via “Bidder’s Conference Call” on Thursday, January 17, 2013 from 6:30pm-7:30pm. The Dial-in-Number is 1-605-475-5950. The Access Code is 701272.
- The most successful applications will be those that combine a clear expression of the business’s goal with an innovative approach to providing a service or product to a market that is not being served (or well-served) at the current time.
- Up to six finalists will each be matched with a Capital One Bank mentor who will help develop the idea over the course of several weeks. (Finalists will be notified on February 8, 2013.)
- In mid-March, finalists will each present a 10-minute business pitch via a PowerPoint presentation to a live panel of judges consisting of Capital One Bank associates, SSBx employees, and SSBx Board members. Panelists will score finalists on the presentation, business idea, and readiness for success.
- The three highest-scoring individuals or teams will receive seed funding for their projects:
- $1,500 for the winner
- $1,000 for the runner-up
- $500 for the third place finisher